Monday, April 16, 2012

Gee, that's a long road






I've been spending so much time looking at our route on the micro level that it sort of took my breath away when I got another look at the run in its entirety.  I've been tweaking the routes in my GPS - making sure the checkpoints are entered in the right place, finding gas stations at appropriate intervals, and checking that I haven't inadvertently routed myself down the wrong roads - and some of this has required looking at maps at the street level.  I kind of forgot for a bit that all of those streets run together and add up to cross the whole damn country.  I knew this was a big deal but now it really feels like it. 

I also had a bit of a jolt a day or two ago when I was checking our route from Virginia to Georgia via the Blue Ridge Parkway to get to the starting line.  I hadn't looked at the total mileage for each of the two days prior to this and what I discovered is that our first day is 410 miles.  D'oh!  Oh well.  That should make every following day seem like a piece of cake, right?

No comments: