Saturday, December 31, 2011

My favorite farkles: Part I

One of the fun things about owning a scooter is making it your own by adding accessories (mods or farkles) to it.  It could be something purely decorative like a headlight visor or an item that enhances performance or comfort or safety.  It’s easy to get carried away with it.  If you’ve got deep enough pockets, there’s virtually no limit to the things you can add to your scooter.

While I was out riding a couple of days ago I was thinking about the various things I’ve done to my scooter and began to rank them in some sort of favorite order.

Utopia back rest: This one item is far and away the best addition I’ve made to my scooter.  I’ve had chronic back problems since I was a teenager and long rides really exacerbate the pain and discomfort.  This back rest has made my rides far more comfortable and I can stay in the saddle longer without having to stop to stretch.


It does make my Vespa look a bit like an armchair on wheels but I'm riding for pleasure, not to wow onlookers with my style.

There is one downside to installing this back rest - it leaves too little room on the back of the seat for a passenger.   That's not an issue for me but it might be a deal breaker for some.  Also, it is semi-permanent.  The bracket the seat back attaches to is bolted to the seat pan and comes up through the foam and seat cover.  If you don't like the idea of cutting a slit through your seat this isn't for you.

Anyone who has back issues and/or does long distance rides ought to give this some serious consideration.  When I began ranking my favorite modifications there wasn't anything else in contention for the top spot.  Get in touch if you have any questions that I might be able to answer for you.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: