Thursday, January 5, 2012

My favorite farkles: Part II

Okay, this one maybe doesn't qualify as a farkle since it's not a modification.  Eh, so what.

Airhawk seat cushion: This runs a close second to the back rest on my list of favorites and the two work well in tandem.  The Airhawk was developed by a company that makes products to relieve bed sores in hospital patients.  It’s an inflatable cushion with a sort of waffle pattern and a nylon cover.  You inflate it only enough to provide a thin cushion of air between you and the seat so you just barely float above it.  It adds about ¾” of height so anyone with short legs who already has trouble reaching the ground might have trouble with it. 

I can say tons of good things about how much better my scooter ride is with it, but as additional testimonial for this product I offer the following: In October 2010 I broke my collarbone in an accident.  I was unable to sleep lying down for the first two weeks so I stayed in my recliner in the living room during this time.  To make myself as comfortable as I could in this very uncomfortable situation, I put the Airhawk on my chair seat.  It made my already comfortable chair even more so.  I liked it so much that I left it in place for a number of months afterward.  It’s that good.  I also recently spent a few nights in my chair again because I had bronchitis and lying down made me hack.  I used the Airhawk again and it's staying there for good now.

Most people on Modern Vespa advocate for the medium cruiser size.  I have both a medium and a large and have to say that the large is the better of the two by a long shot.  It covers from the front end of the seat all the way back to the ridge that separates the rider from the pillion.  I found that the medium had a tendency to slide forward during long rides; the large never does.  I won't argue though; use whatever works for you.

No comments: