Thursday, April 12, 2012

It's certainly starting to feel real now

At this time a week from now I'll just be setting out on the first leg of my trip.  Holy shit.

I've gotten most of my gear and stuff squared away.  I'm carrying enough spare parts to cover anything basic that goes wrong along the way.  If there's anything catastrophic that happens, well...game over.  The bike goes on a support truck and I ride shotgun the rest of the way.  But that won't happen, so I've just got ten days of long rides ahead of me.

For anyone reading who frequents Modern Vespa you'll know some of the cast of characters I'm about to encounter.  Bill Dog is flying into Dulles from the UK next Tuesday, where I will collect him and bring him to my place.  We'll have a day to finish prepping our rides and ourselves before we leave on Thursday.  We'll travel west from Richmond to meet up with Jim and Kristin (JimC and Ivana Tinkle) and spend the next two days riding down the Blue Ridge Parkway and southeast to Savannah.  We'll have one full day to enjoy the city and meet up with all of the other crazy bastards doing this thing.  At some point during that day I also hope to ride down to the shore and dip my front wheel in the Atlantic.

And then...eat, drink, sleep (I hope), and leave just after dawn the following day.  Let the games begin.

No comments: