Friday, December 30, 2011

All work and no play makes me something something

On the Cannonball thread on Modern Vespa we've mostly been joking about things that have little to do with the run.  As one person posted the other day, "rather than planning routes and what tools to bring etc., you're discussing the logistics of riding in a kilt, with a spanking paddle on board a scooter decorated with the logo of an online dildo vendor, following the scent of a marmite-smeared exhaust with plans for further marmite spreading in private...".  [NOTE: she missed the lengthy discussion about how to pee while riding on a scooter]

I don't know about other riders (though I suspect they're doing the same), there's a lot of logistical planning going on.  When I'm not working or doing something else that requires my attention, I'm thinking about Cannonball.  I've got so many lists going that I need a list of lists to organize them.  I'm laying out turn-by-turn routes on my GPS program.  I'm finding fuel stops along a 2,500 mile stretch of road.  I'm looking for anyone who looks like they might be a scooter mechanic for 100 miles on either side of the route.  I'm drawing up lists of gear and clothing and the like and then sorting it into WANT vs. NEED.  And all the while I'm giggling and squirming internally like a kid on Christmas Eve because the anticipation is just too much.

I'd rather talk about kilts and dildos and Marmite in public since the nitty gritty details of how much shampoo and toothpaste to bring just aren't all that interesting.  Or are they?

No comments: