Saturday, December 24, 2011

Winter riding

I've ridden several times in the last few days and it's been a real treat considering that it's nearly the end of December.  I moved from Maine to Virginia six months ago and I'm still adapting to the change in climate.  I'm just not accustomed to being overdressed while riding at this time of year but two days ago that was the case.  It's downright disorienting.

Among the several reasons my wife and I had for moving here is the longer riding season.  You can go for months in a row without riding in Maine because it's either way too cold, there's snow and ice on the road, or both.  So far in Virginia we've had plenty of nights when it's dipped below freezing but it always warms up enough to ride during the day. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be out riding in shorts and flip flops anytime soon but I'm also not sitting in my living room looking out the window at snowbanks and wondering how long it's going to be before I can get on the scooter again.

No comments: