Monday, January 23, 2012

Countdown to ecstasy. Or agony. But probably some of both.

Less than 3 months to Cannonball.  It's far enough off that I can still be a little lackadaisical about pulling all my stuff together but close enough that I'm getting pretty freakin' excited.  Eventually it will get close enough that I'll start to panic and worry that I'm forgetting something important.  For now it's restless indolence.

I've been looking back through forum posts from past CBRs and riders' blogs.  One thing about the blogs really stands out - most of them have numerous posts leading up to the run and then virtually nothing after that.  A few post recaps at the end but a lot just fall silent.  I assume that everyone who was blogging went into the Cannonball with the best of intentions to post all the way across country.  The fact that they didn't tells me that I should not assume I'll do any differently.  I'm bringing my computer and can also post from my phone and I really want to believe that I'm going to write.  What is more likely, however, is that I will speak with Pat every evening and she will post little recaps and updates while I'm at the bar / wrenching in the motel parking lot / lying in a tub / passed out in bed.  I, like others before me, will do my best to return from the adventure and try to capture the high points in a retrospective.  We'll see.

Along with my hope of writing my way across the southern U.S., I'd like to return with lots of photos.  I've used the Cannonball as an excuse to upgrade to a different camera and I would like to see myself actually use it.  There are a few problems with this scheme, however.  The only times I'll be stationary during the day are first thing in the morning (when I'm nervously getting myself ready to ride), stopped on the side of the road to pee or refuel (when my camera is apt to be the last thing on my mind), and in the evening (when the scenery consists of 50 other riders and their scooters in a motel parking lot). 

We are going to pass through some gorgeous areas, particularly in the Southwest, and it will be a shame if I can't capture some of it.  This means I'll have to stop.  Since the Cannonball is a timed run, stopping means losing time.  If I was riding to win it would be out of the question to pull over to take photos, but the handicapped scoring system makes it look like winning is the longest of long shots for me.  This means I ought to be able to stop and get off my scooter whenever I damn well please and not have to worry that I'll ruin my chance at a podium spot and glory since the chance won't be there to begin with.  As with writing, we'll see.

No comments: