Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Yet another farkle post

This one actually hadn't made it onto my list of favorite farkles, but only because I forgot that I had it on the scooter.  This --> discussion <-- on Modern Vespa reminded me of it - the Go Cruise throttle control.

While having a cruise control on a two-wheeled vehicle may seem dangerous or even suicidal to some, I think if it is used prudently that it can make for a safer ride.  Huh?  What's that? 

On a short ride you're not apt to have much fatigue or cramping, but on a long ride it's a real problem at times.  Holding your throttle hand in the same position for an extended period can be tiring and painful.  I use my throttle control for a few minutes at a time to enable me to remove my hand from the grip and stretch my fingers and my arm.  You'll often see riders going down the road with their left arm hanging loosely by their side or tucked behind their back.  This isn't for show - it helps relieve cramping.  The throttle control allows you to do the same with your right arm.  Remaining loose and limber and pain-free to me translates into having a safer ride.

Using the Go Cruise is as simple as depicted in the company's demonstration video.  It takes seconds to install (and seconds to remove if you don't like it).  Engaging it is effortless.  Disengaging it is as simple as manually rolling off the throttle.  It's not risk free so if you aren't comfortable with the idea of holding your throttle engaged you probably shouldn't use one.

Some people use rubber o-rings to achieve the same result.  I have a dozen heavy duty yellow Caterpillar o-rings that I bought (I only needed one but the place I ordered from only sold them by the dozen).  The idea is that you put the o-ring on your throttle grip and when you want it to hold the throttle in place, you slip it over the end of the grip so it fits in the groove between the grip and the bar end.  It works a charm and really does the exact same thing that the Go Cruise does at just a fraction of the price.  Why, then, am I not using it?

When the o-ring is sitting in that groove it's on the outside of your right hand and you can't really see it.  Also, when you're wearing gloves it's more difficult to pull it out of that groove.  Those downsides kept me from getting comfortable using it.  While it may be unlikely that there would be a problem, the thought of taking my hand off the grip and fiddling with the o-ring while hurtling down the road with a stuck throttle...well, you can perform that mental exercise yourself and see how it feels.


No comments: