Thursday, February 9, 2012

Home sweet home

Right here, right now, in the middle of all of my pre-Cannonball planning, my wife and I are buying a new house.  We went under contract this week after some nerve-wracking negotiations with a crusty old bastard who by all appearances didn't really care whether the house sold or not.  We got it done - well, at least the first part - and we set an aggressive timeline by insisting on a Feb. 29 closing - yes, that's now less than three weeks away.

In many ways there couldn't be a worse time for Cannonball to be happening.  I'm supposed to be saving money, not shoveling it out the door on things like spare tires and riding gear and plane tickets.  I'm supposed to be packing my belongings, not spreading them out and cataloging them and deciding what will fit on the scooter and what stays behind.  Conversely, I have moments of thinking, "hey, wait a minute, I'm supposed to be doing scooter maintenance and route planning, not scheduling home inspections and radon tests and filling out mortgage applications."

I'm glad that I have Cannonball to think about because it's a pleasant distraction.  And I hate that I have Cannonball to think about because I'm already stressed out and the upcoming ride adds to it at times.

I suspect I'll look back on this in the not-too-distant future and get a chuckle out of it.  Of all the problems in the world to have, being stressed over buying a new home and doing a scooter ride of a lifetime are not all that bad.

No comments: