Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Two months to go


I've been quiet for the past few weeks and actually thinking very little about Cannonball.  We are in the middle of buying a house and every step of the way has been ridiculously difficult.  We have our closing scheduled a week from today and literally do not know if the deal is still going to go through.  The moments of high drama, stress and worry have not only sucked the joy out of what should be a fairly happy event, but it's kept me from thinking about this whole cross-country thing that's coming up soon.

The Cannonball riders - all 62 of us - will set out from Savannah two months from today.  After obsessing over this for nearly two years it's hard to believe the time has just about come.  I think I'm supposed to be fretting over what's in my tool kit and making sure I've got the spare parts I need but instead I'm undergoing a financial colonoscopy from the mortgage company and wondering if we're going to have a place to move to or have to start over from square one.  With any luck this will all be over soon and my worry over buying the house will be displaced by worry over getting packed and moved in the month prior to Cannonball.  I know things are going to work out one way or another.


I want to give a shout-out to David Masse.  I was away over the weekend and when I got home I found a package from Canada waiting for me.  David decided to send me a couple of turtle lights for my scooter.  They are small LED lights that are super bright, have long battery life, and can be used in either steady or flashing mode.  He sent a white one and a red one.  I can hang or mount them fore and aft on my scooter to make myself more visible.  I don't think a driver could fail to spot me with these things on.  Thank you, David, for your thoughtful gift.  It's a great addition to my kit.


1 comment:

David Masse said...

My pleasure Rick. I think you'll find that the white turtle light has a thousand useful applications. One cool way to use it when you're working in a dark place is to hold the turtle light in your mouth. I'm sure you'll find it handy.

I'm really looking forward to following your progress.